March 17, 2011

Baba, A Striking Presence

gf5141697875


by Harry Kottler

I remember Baba
As a soul completely light.
He set folks free
Of turmoil and of fright.

He had a way of being
That would charm and yet persuade.
He spoke with such conviction
That, at that time, all doubts would fade.

(They'd fade just for a short time
For most needed time to learn
To pursue sadhana thoroughly
So, in the future, doubts would burn.)

He had a striking presence,
Quite commanding and quite bold.
He was as warm as warm can be
Though sometimes he seemed cold.

His face could seem quite frozen
Like a stone god with no grin.
Detached and free,
The world he'd see
As just a part of him.

He could be very festive.
He could also cut with words.
He could move his thoughts
Seemingly for naught,
Yet, in the end, he would be heard.

He conformed to gracious etiquette,
But then etiquette he'd ignore;
For the truth was more important ─
It was truth he most adored.

He didn't care if people
Were offended by his words.
He'd shoot desires
And mental wires
As if they were clay birds.

He was a decisive person,
Yet as flexible as can be.
He scared me, yet I loved him.
Just his memory brings me glee.

Have I created a picture
To do justice to this man?
At least, I've tried.
I don't deny,
I doubt anybody can.

He's seared deeply in my consciousness.
I wish I saw him now,
But at least I wrote about him,
So he's smiling in my brow.

No comments:

Post a Comment